Enjoy the space between your thoughts.
Happiness and Unhappiness Arise From Your Present Mind State! So, train your mind in happiness: peace, free of self-ego-I with its unhappy fear, anger, and pride.
It’s easier than you think. Begin by sitting in a chair, your back straight, hands in your lap, legs uncrossed, feet flat on the floor. Or sit on a cushion, legs crossed.
1. Thank You. Experience deep thanks for the great gift of your life, just as it is now. Accept yourself—all your positive and negative experience—exactly as you are, here and now. Feel your good will intention to benefit all living beings. This is the primary cause of human happiness!
Lower your gaze so that your neck is straight. Relax jaw, neck, gut. Feel the breath in your belly. Now place your attention behind your forehead. Close your eyes, raise your eyebrows. This will produce alpha brain rhythm, the peace response, replacing stressful “fight or flight” beta rhythm. Feel a subtle focused fullness in the forebrain. Let the crown of your head open as light streams in from above and meets the prana life-force energy rising upon each breath. Feel it pervade your entire body-mind—and deep into the earth.
2. Attention! Now, gather the “wild horse of the mind” by placement of attention on your breath. Be present to your breath as it arises in your belly. Let your mantra prayer begin. Softly recite OM AH HUM (see below). This then is your “alpha mantra breath”: 5 seconds in; 7 seconds out through pursed lips (12 seconds). Do it 3 to 9 times (36 to 108 seconds). Let your mantra prayer continue, either consciously, or in the background, day and night.
Each breath feel your busy mind settle into its natural state of wakefulness; your clear light love-wisdom mind Presence—that aspect of you that is utterly one with the great source of everything—your safe place, beyond all thoughts, concepts, beliefs; free of judgment, fear, anger, guilt, pride; free of self-ego-I. No need to think about it. Open and feel it! Be that stillness. Peace.
Thoughts, questions, feelings naturally arise. Briefly greet them. Negative or positive thinking, planning, wandering, worry/anxiety, anger: label whatever arises “distraction”. Then surrender it all on the out-breath. Again and again return attention to the breath. After 3-5 minutes open your eyes slightly and breathe normally, mouth closed.
As you settle into, and rest in your selfless Wisdom Mind Presence, your breath will naturally be slow and gentle. Enjoy this feeling of delight within you. Feel your connectedness to everything. No need to create it; or grasp at it. Mindful Presence upon the breath is always already present—your “Supreme Identity”. Who Am I? That I Am!
3. In-Breath. Open to receive luminous purifying “life-force energy”, sustainer of all life. In the East this energy is prana or ch’i (spirit/breath). For the West it is pneuma/Holy Spirit, the very “breath of life”, “bio energy”, the subtle face/voice of gross physical light/energy/form (E=mc²) arising from formless, non-conceptual, spacious unbounded whole; vast primordial awareness-consciousness ground itself in whom this all arises. Breathe, you are alive! Open and receive. Feel it pervade every space of your body-mind.
4. Out-Breath. Release thoughts, feelings, past, future, all self-ego-I grasping. Feel your stability deep in Mother Earth. Whatever arises—thoughts, feelings, doubts, happy or not—release it all on the out-breath. Surrender it all. Witness it all dissolve as you return to your breath. Let it be just as it is in this peaceful luminous space of mind.
Please consider this well: Thoughts are only thoughts. They come and they go in dependence upon your present mind state. Thoughts are not a solid reality! You are now learning to choose your realities by choosing your present mind state. All of the love-wisdom Masters of our great Primordial Wisdom Tradition have taught this great liberating freedom to be happy right here now.
So, more or less absent thoughts, feel your selfless, natural clear-light Wisdom Mind Presence—subtle peace, clarity, bliss. From this natural spacious mind state the kind, compassionate activity of love spontaneously arises in your mind stream—the very secret and primary cause of human happiness. Place your attention on that. Let it be so now.
Thus it is, that deep peace which you desire rides the breath. Remain close to the breath. When distracted by anxiety/anger, self-judgment—simply return to always already present Presence upon your breath, again and again. When your mind is filled with light of love-wisdom mind Presence, there is no room for negative stuff. Practice that and be happy. Now say to the busy mind: “Peace, be still”. Say to the grasping self: “Peace, I Am”.
5. Presence. Here, now, breathe; open your heart and mind and feel your always present indwelling love Wisdom Mind Presence of this vast boundless whole in whom this all arises. That you are! Subtle Presence of That may be directly experienced, prior to thinking, as luminous white clear-light mind essence—the very Nature of Mind, beyond any name, concept, or belief.
Once again, feel this prana life-energy, right here now, at the crown of your head. Feel it stream in upon each breath. Then open your heart to receive. Feel it pervade your entire body-mind. Let it flow downward throughout your head, throat, chest, back, hara center in the belly, pelvis; then deep into Mother Earth. Feel your fearless stability in earth.
Now, let this energy of Presence penetrate any discomfort—that self-contraction from your natural life-energy flow: sense desire, physical tension and pain, grief, doubt, guilt, fear/anxiety, anger/hostility, harsh judgments of yourself and of others.
Experience the emotional lift as any and all presently activated “attachment and aversion” are inundated by Presence of this clear light life energy. Be for a brief moment with whatever arises—attractive or aversive. Then surrender it all on the out-breath. Know now you are free of it. Let this light penetrate and pervade your entire emotional and physical body-mind: brain, nervous systems, heart, organs, cells, the very atomic structure of your physical/emotional/spiritual being. Now, rest in this feeling of delight within you.
“Let it be as it is, and rest your weary mind, all things are perfect exactly as they are” (Buddha). “That which you seek…the Kingdom of God…is already present within you…and it is spread upon the face of the world, but you do not see it” (Jesus The Christ).
With each breath feel healing life energy Presence fill and overflow into your subtle energy field, this light of you that embraces and pervades your whole body-mind. Awaken to this “basic goodness” that you are, prior to our cultural skeptical “web of belief”. But don’t believe this. Open, feel it. Now self-ego-I is tamed, at peace. Rest fearlessly in That.
6. Wisdom Mind is a Choice. “What you are is what you have been; what you will be is what you do now” (Buddha). This bright basic space upon the breath is your natural wakefulness—your primordial love-wisdom mind Presence. Choose to be that space/peace, here and now, beyond ego: no past nor future; no attachment nor aversion; no true nor false; no judgment at all. No need to think, try or do anything. Know that your clear-light mind is already awake, kind and wise. Rest in That, each breath. Let it be as it is; calm and clear.
Love-wisdom mind practice is your Path to liberation from egoistic ignorance and delusion, root cause of human suffering. Stay with it. Your self-ego-I may resist. Notice the bogus excuses. This choice is Happiness Itself: kind relative human flourishing that does no harm; and ultimate happiness-liberation from suffering; the happiness that cannot be lost.
Thus is human happiness very much an awareness management skill set! Happiness arises, not so much from desirable stuff, as from the choice of your placement of attention upon your breath, in this present moment now! No belief, no leap of faith, no authority but your own is required. Simply settle your mind, open your heart, and be fully present to your alpha mantra breath now. That is the foundation of your love-wisdom mind Path.
7. Refuge. Now you know this precious space/peace of your Christ-Buddha Mind Presence. Take refuge in it often. Breath by breath purify, pacify, stabilize, beautify your mind; a most courageous act; your most urgent activity. Make mindful breathing a priority, “brief moments; many times”, all day long. Soon it becomes a conscious continuity of awareness. Who am I? Feeling Presence of that vast whole—”Tat Tvam Asi; That I Am“, without a single exception. You have never been separate from That! Feel That, breath by breath. That is the View. That is the Teaching. That is the Practice. It’s like coming home.
8. Compassion Meditation. By this good generated by each mindful breath make the aspiration for the benefit of all living beings: “May I and all beings be free of suffering, and the causes of suffering. May I and all beings have happiness, and the causes of happiness“. This powerful mantra prayer is as well, your Compassion Meditation when practiced for a few minutes. “Come and see” what it does for your present heart-mind state of happiness.
Is not your happiness already linked to the happiness of others? We’re all in this reality thing together. Accomplish your own happiness through compassionate thought, intention, and action to benefit other beings. It’s called altruism. In the East it’s bodhicitta. It’s the metric for a good life. So arise, and do some good. This will make you happy now.
9. Real Practice. Patience. Courage. Practice 15 to 20 minutes, or more upon rising; 5 to 10 minutes upon retiring; and many “36 seconds of bliss” alpha mantra breaths during the day. Peace is always here, between your thoughts, each mindful breath. Take refuge in your Wisdom Mind Presence often. Feel it at your heart before sleep; and all night long. Be present while eating, walking, working, loving. Lovingly accept yourself as a mother accepts her child. No blame. Anxious or angry? No time? Take three OM AH HUM belly breaths right now! Go ahead and do it now. Your real goal is not peace and happiness in some ideal future state of being. Make your practice your goal—each mindful breath. “Mindfulness of breathing is the foundation of all wisdom and happiness” (Buddha).
10. The Five Benefits of Mindfulness Meditation Are Always Already Present.
1) Body-Mind relaxation experienced as profound peace, forgiveness, healing.
2) Non-conceptuality: beyond self-ego-I thinking, concept, belief, fear/anger.
3) Clarity: mental and perceptual acuity, luminosity, vividness, wakefulness.
4) Deep appreciation and acceptance of your life, and yourself, just as you are.
5) Wisdom Mind Presence; happiness manifest as kind, compassionate action.
The Power of Voice. Use ancient mantra prayer OM AH HUM, a touchstone, during practice—it’s all practice—to instantly connect to and protect your Christ-Buddha Wisdom Mind Presence. Let it be always in your awareness foreground, or background. Free your mind by reciting daily 108 mantras while walking, or sitting. Get a 108 bead mala.
Good Sleep. Engage your alpha mantra breath for a few minutes as you sit on the side of your bed. Now continue to recite OM AH HUM silently, on your back, hands over your heart, or at your side, palms down. Settle into your clear light love-wisdom mind Presence. Now begin your full body scan. Feel the gentle peace of prana life energy throughout your entire body mind. Your crown center is open. Step by mindful step receive life energy flow into your head, neck, shoulders, chest, arms and hands, belly and back, pelvic area, legs and feet. Let any obstruction to energy flow—tension, pain, worry, anger—flow away through feet and hands. “Rest your weary mind and let it be as it is”. Feel prana peace pervade your entire body-mind. As your breath naturally becomes slow and regular, let mantra prayer fade into your awareness background as you assume your normal sleeping position. Let your breath be your love-wisdom lullaby and goodnight.
OM AH HUM? These three reality dimensions are one prior and present unity. OM is formless empty space, primordial ground of all, vast unbounded whole itself. AH is like the sun; selfless clear light awareness—light bridge into form. HUM is non-conceptual wisdom Presence of OM, present now in your body-mind; light-form gift naturally expressing itself as skillful loving bodhicitta—thought, intention and action to benefit beings. Who am I? I Am OM AH HUM: three gates to happiness—body, voice, mind of all masters—instant connection to That! Feel it purify your cause/effect karma. The benefit of mindful breathing is immeasurable. Now arise and do some good. It will make you happy.
David Paul Boaz Dechen Wangdu: coppermount.org; davidpaulboaz.org